Author Topic: 16th of September, a significant day in my country.  (Read 9830 times)

Offline el5obeatle

• Studying languages
16th of September, a significant day in my country.
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:02:07 pm »
Well, today in Mexico we commemorate one more anniversary of our Inependence Day. It may seem a bit strange but here, the people remember much more the date when the Independence movement started  (16th of September, 1810) than the date when it concluded (27th of September, 1821).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:51:10 pm by el5obeatle »
All the misfortunes of mankind come from not speaking clearly. | Albert Camus (Philosopher, writer and Nobel Prize).

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: 16th of September, a significant day in my country.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »
Your post prompted me to find out a little more about your independence day. Quite a long (11 year) struggle since the 'Grito de Dolores' of 1810.
And yes, I would have thought your independence day would be celebrated in Sept 1821 rather than when the call for independence was started.
Anyway, enjoy your national holiday!  :)

Offline t k

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:15:48 am »
Though i don't like talking on politics, I realize that people can do it because of independence!  Without independence, no politicians.  It seems one of the few good things that they can offer me.  Our independence day is on August 15th, when Japanese emporor announced their defeat, 70 years since.  I would imagine Mexican celebrations are much more colorful and boistrous than ours.  Congratulations!  --- tk

Offline el5obeatle

• Studying languages
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 07:52:05 am »
Darryl: I see that you have written your first words in Spanish. Congratultions!, they are quite well in text and orthography. Great!

And yes, the struggle lasted many years and no one could reach the final victory, neither the Insurgent Army nor the Royal Spanish Army. But in 1821 finally the war was over.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:55:54 pm by el5obeatle »
All the misfortunes of mankind come from not speaking clearly. | Albert Camus (Philosopher, writer and Nobel Prize).

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »
Cinco de Mayo, the fifth of May, is celebrated more north of the border (the U.S.) by the Mexicans and many others.  It's a colorful fiesta, full of music and good food usually!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:18:27 am by Bertha »
Bertha

Offline el5obeatle

• Studying languages
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 06:08:23 am »
T k:

I see that in your country you celebrated your Independence Day about one month ago. Very recently.

On the other hand,  yes, here in my country our National fiesta on September 16th is colorful and nice. By the way, yesterday I tired to post an image related to these celebrations but I had some technical problems and the try failed.

Regards.

Offline el5obeatle

• Studying languages
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:07:39 am »
Bertha:

Yes indeed, good food is always present in these kind of celebrations. Frequently the stomach has to work a little more in those days. ;D

And you are right, the 5th of May, 1862 is another significant day here in my country. It is related to the defense of the City of Puebla.

By the way, Hollywood made a film named "Juarez" (with Bette Davis and Brian Aherne), which talks about these years 1862-1867 and some situations with influence in the history of both nations (U.S. and México). The film can help understand much better why this date is also remembered in some places in the the U.S.

Maybe the film is in YouTube, I don't know.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:23:25 pm by el5obeatle »

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:33:40 am »
By the way, yesterday I tired to post an image related to these celebrations but I had some technical problems and the try failed.

You cannot post images here directly. You need to load them up to a web space of your choice and then post a link to that image here.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†