Author Topic: diseases pass through filters?  (Read 5914 times)

Offline longman3575

diseases pass through filters?
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:36:20 am »
I think 'bacterial, fungal, and protistan diseases' should be 'bacteria, fungi, and protists'. There's something wrong with the underlined part, with the things compared.

The discovery of viruses as a unique life form came about in 1892. Dmitri Iwanowski, a Russian scientist, accidentally revealed that viruses were responsible for a common tobacco disease. He determined this by filtering the diseased tissues in an attempt to collect the organism causing the tobacco disease. Iwanowski was amazed when he discovered that the disease organism was smaller than any known cell. Other scientists carried out similar studies on other diseases and called the disease organisms “unfilterable infectious agents.” This filtration method distinguished viruses from bacterial, fungal, and protistan diseases, which did not pass through filters. These unfilterable agents were renamed in 1915. Scientists generally used the term Twort particles for viruses causing agricultural animal disease, named after English scientist Frederick William Twort, who isolated viruses from cattle.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: diseases pass through filters?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:37 am »
I have no in depth knowledge of the subject here, but from an English usage point of view, I see nothing wrong with the original.

Offline longman3575

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:31:10 am »
I mean that not diseases but bacteria, fungi, and protists can(or cannot) pass through the filters.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:11:06 am »
Yes, longman, you are right.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:15:30 pm »
This filtration method distinguished viruses from bacterial, fungal, and protistan diseases, which did not pass through filters.

There are four different agents that cause diseases: virus (viral), bacterial, fungal, and protistan.  The viral agents pass through the filters, but the bacterial, fungal, and protistan do not. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:25 pm »
Doesn't it say 'viruses from ...' ? As I said, I am no physician.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:43:46 pm »

Diseases are caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi, or organisms such as protozoa (protistan).  The filters are able to sort out the viruses from the other three, according to how I read it.  The viruses go through the filter and the others are retained (sort of like coffee grounds in a filter).
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 09:16:21 am »
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Offline Nolan

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 07:16:33 am »

Diseases are caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi, or organisms such as protozoa (protistan).  The filters are able to sort out the viruses from the other three, according to this how I read it.  The viruses go through the filter and the others are retained (sort of like coffee grounds in a filter).

Ok that makes sense to me now, thanks for clarifying Bertha.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:52:40 pm by Nolan »

Offline NyellBarnet

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »

Diseases are caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi, or organisms such as protozoa (protistan).  The filters are able to sort out the viruses from the other three, according to how I read it.  The viruses go through the filter and the others are retained (sort of like coffee grounds in a filter).

Hi Ok that makes sense to me now, thanks for clarifying Bertha. :D :D :D :D