Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
What are you reading?
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »
I have found time to do some reading lately. Two reasons - it's our wet season here and work outside is not comfortable, and I have been creating a reading room at our historic village and have come across several old books.
I like factual books, personal experiences from the old days. I found a battered old thing, published in 1933, titled Camel Pads. It details the journeys of one Bruce Plowman, a padre with the Australian Inland Mission. His patrol took in a lot of Central Australia and his journey with a string of recalcitrant camels took him from Oodnadatta to Tennant Creek and back, a trek of six months duration. He tells of his near death experiences with drought, attacks by wild blacks, cattle stampedes, days of 125 degrees in the shade, his ministering to the tough characters of the Outback and the people he met on his round in the most remote and inhospitable part pf the country.
There are some wonderful descriptions of country, amusing dialogue in pidgin English with the natives, and some expressions which would be considered very politically incorrect these days.
And I love his impeccable grammar. Speaking of bush wives who give help readily to all in need: ... finding strength and inspiration in a happy home presided over by one of those gracious women - than whom there are none better - the bush wives.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:01:42 pm »
I'm more for fiction, that's my escape from reality, like a vacation :)

At the moment I'm reading the "Fallen Empire" series by Lindsay Buroker. I like her writing style ;)

“We agreed on that?”
“You were in the room when I talked about it.”
“I see. And that denotes agreement?”
“Absolutely.” Alisa laid a hand on his cheek. “You’ve never been married, so you’ll have to trust me. This is how it works.”

― from "Arkadian Skies: Fallen Empire, Book 6 (English Edition)"
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 05:53:39 pm »
This screen you idiot ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:14 pm »
 ;D

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
Found another old book in very bad shape - the paper is yellowed and very fragile, but I managed to read the whole thing. Wild Life and Adventure in the Australian Bush - Four Years' Personal Experience, Volume 1 written by Arthur Nicols and printed in 1887. That is a very long time ago in Australia's history. My town was only seven years old then!

The book is dedicated to Prince Albert Victor Edward of Wales "in remembrance of his visit to Australia and his deep interest in that part of the Queen's realm".

His adventures as a young 'new chum' from the old country make riveting reading. His interaction with the rough stockmen of Western Queensland, tribulations with dingoes and snakes, coping with isolation and weather,and his disdain for the natives ("who can't resist the temptation of knocking a man on his head for the sake of his knife and a bit of bacca he's got in his pocket") paint an interesting picture of colonial Australia.

I wish I could find Volume 2.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »
Joshua Slocum - sailing alone around the world - has to be the book for me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:41:46 pm by admin »
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:14 am »
And that was set back in the late nineteenth century too. What an incredible achievement. A pity he was lost at sea, but I guess for a lone sailor, that would be the sort of end he would have chosen.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:42:08 pm »
Yeah - but what a read.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:32 am »
We know what books tk is reading from his many questions. I have to admire his tenacity tackling some of the heavy stuff he reads.

Offline t k

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:55 am »
Thanks, Darryl, for your praise.  I am just following the recommendations that assure me least chance of regret.  I really hate to stop half way through a book.  The recommendations mentioned on this forum also remain in my mind.  After having spent a few years on more recent novels, 1940s on, I find Dickens more entertaining.  There are also a lot of explanations on his book on the internet.  I even found a site with an easy-to-understand translation, so most of my would-be questions here are spared.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:10:01 pm »
A while ago I bought a book from the op shop titled Dear Teacher by Jack Sheffield. It was a really entertaining book so I found out what else he had written and bought two more on-line. Teacher Teacher! and Mister Teacher arrived in the mail recently and I have just finished them.
Written in the first person, they tell the real experiences of a young principal at a rural school in Yorkshire, England. He gives wonderful descriptions of the characters in the small town and his interactions with them. Reminds me a lot of the English TV series Heartbeat and the one with the Yorkshire vet All Creatures Great and Small. I have never been to Yorkshire so the accents were a bit hard to decipher in place, but all-in-all very entertaining reading. I can relate to some of his stories about the children (and parents), having taught in rural schools, albeit on the other side of the world.

Offline skilledone

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 02:54:22 pm »
Hello! I would like recommend you a famous polish writer which used to specalize in a reportage (non-fiction). The name of this writer is Ryszard Kapuscinski. Google preview him! His literature is really worth reading. Now I am reading a book The Emperor: Downfall of an Autocrat. The book tells a story about the Haile Selassie's regime in Ethiopia. Awesome, but terryfing too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:22:56 pm by skilledone »

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:30:29 am »
I have just finished a really entertaining book titled The Elements of Eloquence written by Mark Forsayth. He details about 40 different figures of speech, all of which we use, often without being aware of it. From alliteration and hyperbole to the lesser-known but still frequently used polyptoton, hyperbaton, catachresis and so on. I really like the way he moves smoothly from one chapter to the next and his sense of humour appeals to me.
And I like a book that starts off "Shakespeare was not a genius".
I enjoyed everything about this book - lock, stock and barrel. (That's an example of tricolon.)   :)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:58 am »
Can you identify the polyptoton used in the following?

https://youtu.be/iBg2-oZClS0
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 12:25:46 pm »
Dreamed and dream, right?