Author Topic: Town pronunciations  (Read 334 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Town pronunciations
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:49 am »

We attended a quiz night recently. One of the questions referred to a British town by the name of Shrewsbury. I know that's pretty near your place, Duncan. The quizmaster pronounced it Shroosbury, but one of the contestants objected vehemently saying it should be pronounced Shrowsbury.
I did some research and checked out an article in The Shropshire News and it seems as though there is some debate over the pronunciation. Which camp are you in, Duncan?
Are there examples of towns that have names that look different from their pronunciation?

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: Town pronunciations
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
Ha! I call it Shroo - the snobs call it Shroe. But, really, have you ever heard of "the taming of the Shroe?".
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
Here is a rather humorous debate you can watch here: https://youtu.be/vz6dT8whquU 

You should hear some Americans pronounce English place names, too.  Duncan would roll his eyes!
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:32:39 am »
I!m logged in from my son,s iPad in Townsville at the moment. Visiting him and his wife who have just returned from mountain biking in Canada.
Thanks for the Shroosbury answer Duncan - I thought it may have been something like that.
We have a small town near us called Kairi. Visitors say Carey but it's correct pronunciation is Cure-eye. No idea why. And I know I have spelt its incorrectly above but I can,t see how to fix it on this iPad thing.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:52:16 am »
And while I'm on about place names, can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the Thames River and the River Thames? Is it the Nile River or the River Nile? We have the same thing in Australia - some say the Murray River and others the River Murray.
Does a river have to be important before its name can be reversed? And the rivers that do this seem to have shorter names. You don't hear the River Mississippi much. And some rivers never seem to be candidates for the reversal; I don't think I have ever heard Perth's river referred to as the River Swan.
Maybe it's a bit snobby like Shrowsbury. Ordinary folk say the Severn River and the upper classes refer to the River Severn??

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:59 am »
Interesting question young Darryl. I would always say River Thames, River Severn etc. But, I agree, the Mississippi River. Perhaps it is to do with the length of the word? River has two syllables so, perhaps, if the name has two syllables or fewer, it is the River Blah-blah - or maybe we just say what the locals say. I would say River Swan until I heard locals saying Swan River.

Ideas folks?
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:47 am »
Bertha

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Bertha

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:24 pm »
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:28 pm »
Thanks Betha

Confused of Lydbury North :)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:06 am »
My wife and I were discussing this the other day, and we are of the opinion that it is another case of "British English vs American English". It seems to us that Americans say "Nile River" but Brits say "River Nile". Perhaps "Mississippi River" is said mainly by American speakers (on the news, for example) so that is why "River Mississippi" sounds strange?

I'm not sure where Canadian or Australian or New Zealand or South African English fit into all this, but I think Canadians side with Americans in this case.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world