Author Topic: Town pronunciations  (Read 44 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Town pronunciations
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:49 am »

We attended a quiz night recently. One of the questions referred to a British town by the name of Shrewsbury. I know that's pretty near your place, Duncan. The quizmaster pronounced it Shroosbury, but one of the contestants objected vehemently saying it should be pronounced Shrowsbury.
I did some research and checked out an article in The Shropshire News and it seems as though there is some debate over the pronunciation. Which camp are you in, Duncan?
Are there examples of towns that have names that look different from their pronunciation?

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: Town pronunciations
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
Ha! I call it Shroo - the snobs call it Shroe. But, really, have you ever heard of "the taming of the Shroe?".
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
Here is a rather humorous debate you can watch here: https://youtu.be/vz6dT8whquU 

You should hear some Americans pronounce English place names, too.  Duncan would roll his eyes!
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:32:39 am »
I!m logged in from my son,s iPad in Townsville at the moment. Visiting him and his wife who have just returned from mountain biking in Canada.
Thanks for the Shroosbury answer Duncan - I thought it may have been something like that.
We have a small town near us called Kairi. Visitors say Carey but it's correct pronunciation is Cure-eye. No idea why. And I know I have spelt its incorrectly above but I can,t see how to fix it on this iPad thing.