Author Topic: How well can you tolerate cold?  (Read 885 times)

Offline JTL

How well can you tolerate cold?
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:31:16 am »
If the outdoor temperature is zero degrees C and you have to stay outdoor for a long while, will you be wearing gloves? If not, how cold must it be for you to be wearing gloves? 

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: How well can you tolerate cold?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:39:04 am »
It sort of depends on what I am doing and how long I would be outdoors, but generally, I don't like to wear to gloves.  If I had a very long way to drive and it's extremely cold, I would certainly have a pair of gloves to use if I had an emergency that forced me to walk away from my vehicle. I had to do that a couple of times in the past and sure appreciated the gloves then.  I probably wouldn't bother with the gloves until it was at least -5 or so.
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:47:50 pm »
Gloves, woolly hat and a lined jacket :)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline t k

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:00:08 am »
My hands get cold easily while my wife's stay warm in cold.  I need gloves or need to keep them in the pockets, but my wife doesn't.  It depends on the person.  If you find others' hand warmer than yours when shaking hands in cool weather, you need gloves, I think.  I like mittens as they keep my hands warmer than gloves.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:16:29 pm »
Gloves? Gloves? What are gloves?

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:25:31 pm »
I don't normally wear gloves when going outside as I have my hands in my pockets most of the time anyway. I only wear gloves when I have to handle things in the cold for more than a few minutes, like cutting branches for Christmas decorations in the woods and carrying them to the car. I might wear gloves when the temperature drops below -15°C or so, but that is rare. I do, however, like to wear gloves when driving and do so unless it's really too warm (above +10°C).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:29:24 pm by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline JTL

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:04:22 am »
Thank you for sharing your experience! The only time I have been in a cold environment that called for gloves was about 14 years ago when we visited Shanghai during Chinese new year days.  It was February, and the temperatures there was around 0-5 C. Since it was the first time we went somewhere that cold, I had had to buy all the warm clothing including accessories such as hats, mittens, gloves, scarves and even earmuffs. When I bought those things, I was not aware that they would end up serving us only once.  But as it turned out, that type of cold weather (which to you, including Darryl I guess, is just "no sweat") has scared us from visiting anywhere that cold again, ever!

So, for 14 years we have this family mantra that "we are not going anywhere cold".  Those winter clothes I had kept without use for over a decade were finally given away but I wish they weren't!  Life is fluid.  As life would have it, we may have to go to somewhere very cold again this CNY next month.  If I do have to go, I can wear multiple jackets and pants, but I have no gloves. It is not easy to buy winter gloves in my town.  Of course I can buy online, but I can't try the size.  So, I posted my question hoping to hear answers like "no, we don't wear gloves -- those are for the poles". 

Anyway, my new realization is that we can't avoid winter our whole life.  We have to confront it.  I want to learn more about winter life.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 12:35:43 pm »
Not really 'no sweat' with the cold weather, JTL. I'm not being brave or hardy or anything. We just don't get weather cold enough to warrant gloves. Even up here in the mountains, it gets chilly in the winter mornings but not enough for gloves and furry hats and stuff. I don't own a pair of gloves other than the heavy welding gloves. Oh, and some leather gloves to protect the hands from damage when trail bike riding in rough country. Both pairs get uncomfortably hot at times.
Good luck with your cold weather trip. Where to??

Offline JTL

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:33 am »
Darryl, I knew what you meant in your first response asking what are gloves.  Australia is not a cold-weather country in my book although it has four seasons.  But I believe that you are more or less like the others here who do not think zero degrees C is any big deal. That's why I said "Darryl included".  If I thought you were being brave or hardy, I would have said "....no sweat, especially Darryl".  See?  ;)

As for whereto.... When I started this thread, I was considering ZhangJiaJie.  Here is what it is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VNcDLZTuhk

But when I heard that this place will be extremely crowded during CNY, I changed my mind.  I am now targeting Hainan Island, which is not cold. But ZhangJiaJie is in my bucket list.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:25:16 am »
Very scenic place, JTL. That timber walkway along the side of the cliff is impressive. You would need to have a head for heights to handle that.

Offline Unknown

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:43 pm »
Its about dressing right and being healthy. I like being a healthy person by eating a healthy diet and using natural products by companies.

(Edit: Commercial link removed)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:09:11 pm by Darryl »