spring
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:51 am »
It's spring again.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: spring
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:26 am »
Nice pic, tk. Spring for you, autumn for us. Or more accurately, wet season. The monsoon has really hit us these past few days. Incessant rain, flooding, road closures etc. Some places near us have had up to 900mm of rain in a couple of days. We are in the headwaters of the coastal town of Ingham - the town is now underwater. As I write this rain is hammering on our roof, and has been all day and night. Wish I could send you the deafening sound of frogs.

Offline t k

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 03:54:47 am »
I'm glad that you are mostly assaulted by noises rather.  I hope this incident settles down soon.

You caused me to have a vicarious feeling that is long lost here.  Thanks.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:52:58 am »
I'm glad that you are mostly assaulted by noises rather.  I hope this incident settles down soon.

You caused me to have a vicarious feeling that is long lost here.  Thanks.  --- tk

Yep, that's pretty much what Ingham has at the moment. I feel sorry for those teachers caught up with all those kids at camp. Not an easy situation. I was watching one news report this morning where they showed snakes looking for dry ground and one bit of dry road covered with spiders. Ingham is on the Herbert River and well known for its crocodiles. To have them swimming up the main street could cause some trepidation.
Those frogs on your video are a bit quiet compared to my green tree frogs which are really noisy - especially if they find their way into a pipe where the call echoes.
Rain has eased today - just some drizzle. The BOM are predicting a moderate chance of a cyclone. That will not be pleasant, especially since everything is so wet now. It will be all run-off. I see Britain is getting some flooding in places with the snow melt too.

P.S. If you have nothing better to do, amuse yourself with these frog calls. Our green tree frog is the same as the West Australian one. (Nine down). The Moaning Frog and the Motorbike Frog are interesting!
http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/collections/terrestrial-zoology/herpetology-reptiles-and-frogs-collection/frog-calls
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:03:22 am by Darryl »

Offline t k

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:24:53 am »
We had a snow on the spring equinox.  The first is taken at the same spot as the photo above.  In the mean time most of the ice is gone.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:05 am »
You must be hardy souls to live in conditions like that!!

Offline t k

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:55 am »
It was an unusual one, and I would not mind such scenes, though gone in a few hours with spring temperatures.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:06:34 am »
We are anxiously watching this one. Category 4 is getting serious.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:51 pm »
Well, Cyclone Nora has subsided into a tropical low but may redevelop to cyclone strength as it turns away from us and heads across the Gulf waters to the Territory. We are still feeling the effects though with road closures, flooding, landslides and incessant rain. The small town of Port Douglas on the coast a couple of hours north of us had 590 mm of rain last night.
Sometimes we need rain so badly and other times we just wish it would stop!! Pity we can't even things out. But we are safe and comfortable so we count our blessings and ride it out. At least we are not cold like tk's place.
                                                                                             ()()()()() 
                                                                                             UUUUUU
                                                                                             /////////
                                                                                            //////////

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
Good to hear the weather is a little better than anticipated.  We're headed in to our high season for tornadoes and severe storms here in Oklahoma.  Yesterday, we had a low chance of having something develop, but we had rain and no storms.  I'm not complaining about the rain because we were pushing 100 days without much rain, less than an inch or so.  My spring flowers should be soaking up this moisture right now.  We had a very dry winter! 
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:05:42 pm »
Britain has had two major snowstorms this month. Both brought many transport links such as rail and ferry service to a halt. People stayed home from work and schools were closed - all because of 6 to 8 inches of snow. These storms were called "Beast from the East" because they came from Scandinavia and/or Russia. This coming weekend, we may get "Beast from the East 3" as another storm is predicted, but the forecasters aren't sure how bad it will be nor where precisely it will hit.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline t k

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:15:48 am »
In less than two weeks, ...  --- tk

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 09:49:12 am »
 ;D
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline t k

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 03:40:09 am »
More flowers.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 09:39:02 am »
Must be getting warmer for you to have flowers like that.
Our wet season is on the run now and we have started the clear autumn weather. This morning was an 11 degree minimum, but the coats soon came off as we headed for a 30 degree day.