Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Language Questions / Re: ---- superior years
« Last post by admin on November 17, 2018, 11:09:50 am »
He was much older than her
Language Questions / ---- superior years
« Last post by t k on November 17, 2018, 03:35:33 am »
Do you understand the feeling—the sort of feeling that you must get certain matters out of the way, smooth out certain fairly negligible complications before you can go to a place that has, during all your life, been a sort of dream city? I didn't attach much importance to my superior years. I was forty-five, and she, poor thing, was only just rising twenty-two.  (from The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "superior years".  Thanks.  --- tk
Language Questions / Re: Apostrophes!
« Last post by Darryl on November 16, 2018, 12:00:00 pm »
Pity. I like apostrophe questions.
Language Questions / Re: ---- they stood between me
« Last post by Bertha on November 15, 2018, 11:34:46 am »
I read a little larger context, and I believe that the "they" were the imagined individuals that Ford describes in the preceding paragraph. They seemed to float in and out, sometimes by themselves and sometimes all together, but he is looking at the corpse of his wife and feels as though all of the others appear to keep him from touching her or showing expected mournful reactions to her death.  He describes himself as if he were "the titular possessor of her corpse" to show that he felt removed in an official way rather than as her husband.
« Last post by Bertha on November 15, 2018, 11:25:48 am »
We're here to help, but you'll need to give us an example of the apostrophe issue you're having. 

Thanks.
Language Questions / ---- they stood between me
« Last post by t k on November 15, 2018, 04:21:24 am »
But, as long as one or the other, or all three of them were there, they stood between me as if, I being the titular possessor of the corpse, had a right to be present at their conferences.  (from The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "they stood between me".  Does it mean "they stood around me"?  Thanks.  --- tk
« Last post by admin on November 14, 2018, 04:50:17 pm »
And that example is? ...
Language Questions / Apostrophes!
« Last post by hismaimai8888 on November 14, 2018, 03:40:34 pm »
Morning all,

We're having a little bit of a heated argument in the office here, so I thought I would put the issue to you lovely, learned folks in the forum.

There is a letter that is sent out from this office, that I believe contains a grammatical error but the rest (all two of them) don't agree.
Language Questions / in the presentation, he was reading from/off his script
« Last post by Ionachul on November 14, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »
1. He was reading from his script.
2. He was reading off his script.
3. He was reading his script.

Grateful if anyone let me know the difference between them.

Iona

Language Questions / Re: with a hurt knee
« Last post by admin on November 14, 2018, 08:03:48 am »
I like 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. Yes - they all do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10