Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Language Questions / Re: saved by the firemen
« Last post by Darryl on December 16, 2017, 11:03:25 pm »
I'm not sure either. They seem grammatically acceptable, but in some way, not quite natural. I doubt they would not be uttered by a native speaker but it's hard to explain why.
Café / Re: Compost
« Last post by Darryl on December 16, 2017, 10:57:13 pm »
Mr T, I see you purposely put cen-TI-metre in the compost where it belongs.  :)
Language Questions / Re: saved by the firemen
« Last post by Mr Tasker on December 16, 2017, 10:30:10 pm »
Hi

This is interesting because they all seem a bit wrong, but not for grammatical reasons. I will have to think about why that is, but anyone else is welcome to enlighten us both.

As to the difference between "a" and "the" it's simply the difference between an 'indefinite' man (we don't know which man; he hasn't been mentioned before) and a 'definite' man (we understand which man is meant by the context, which is not stated in the examples). For instance if we have already been told that three people died and one man lived, then it's obviously the survivor.
Hi

This time I'm completely baffled. Reading the larger context I'm not even sure if "they" refers to the two tourists or (the statue of) Mohammed Ali and his horse.

However, I will try to shed some light on the terms in bold.

"argument from design" probably refers to the religious argument that there is objective evidence for the existence of God. More often these days called "intelligent design". The opposite to Darwin's theory of evolution.

"self-agency" probably either refers to the concept of free will or perhaps means "making oneself exist by force of will".

"self-humanity" is not a concept, as far as I know, but is probably an invention by the author as an extension of what has already been said - i.e. "making oneself human by force of will".

But the above is all conjecture.
Café / Re: Pic Luck Party
« Last post by Mr Tasker on December 16, 2017, 09:15:33 pm »
t k, I can see the photos now.

Cute cat.

I don't know the name of the plant.
Café / Re: Compost
« Last post by Mr Tasker on December 16, 2017, 09:12:43 pm »
I might have a line on the reason for layering browns and greens.

Today I put some dry browns in a plastic barrel with some grass clippings and rolled it back and forth a bit to mix them up well. Just as an experiment to see what I would get.

The browns were mostly paper (newsprint, printer paper, paper towels with nothing disgusting on them) all torn by hand into strips about one cen-TI-metre wide.

I noticed that the paper, despite going in as strips, was largely balled up with the grass into lumps about the size of tennis balls. Surprisingly tightly. They were difficult to tear apart.

Most people wouldn't use that method to mix but perhaps you get some clumping even mixing with a garden fork.

Presumably two separate layers would have time to equalize dampness and perhaps start transforming each other into something more compost-like if you wait several days before mixing. Just a guess.

Café / Re: Mushrooms
« Last post by Bertha on December 16, 2017, 02:26:39 pm »
chuckle cough
Café / Re: Pic Luck Party
« Last post by Bertha on December 16, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »
The flower looks like a variety of spirea. There are many, some with clusters like depicted and some with elongated clusters.  https://garden.org/plants/group/spiraeas/
Language Questions / Re: what have you to do?
« Last post by admin on December 16, 2017, 01:16:48 pm »
Yes - but 2 would be more usual
Language Questions / what have you to do?
« Last post by navi on December 16, 2017, 11:42:02 am »
Is this sentence correct:

1) What have you to do?

Does it mean the same as:

2) What do you have to do?

Does it have both meanings of '2'? (Obligation and things you can do)

Gratefully,
Navi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10