Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Language Questions / ---- the good pleasure of her saviour
« Last post by t k on Today at 06:13:20 am »
And Mrs Verloc waited in silence the good pleasure of her saviour, deriving comfort from his reflective silence.  (from The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "the good pleasure of her saviour".
Does it mean "the willingness of her saviour"?
Is it the object of the verb "wait"?  Isn't "for" needed?

Thanks.  --- tk
Language Questions / ---- scientifically
« Last post by t k on Today at 05:40:59 am »
He exclaimed scientifically, in the extremity of his astonishment: “The degenerate—by heavens!”

Comrade Ossipon might have been said to be terrified scientifically in addition to all other kinds of fear.
  (from The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "scientifically".  Thanks.  --- tk
Language Questions / ---- Women’s words fell into water
« Last post by t k on Today at 05:14:12 am »
He assured her curtly that no promises on his part were necessary, but he took good care not to contradict her in set terms, because he had had much to do with excited women, and he was inclined in general to let his experience guide his conduct in preference to applying his sagacity to each special case.  His sagacity in this case was busy in other directions.  Women’s words fell into water, but the shortcomings of time-tables remained.  The insular nature of Great Britain obtruded itself upon his notice in an odious form.  “Might just as well be put under lock and key every night,” he thought irritably, as nonplussed as though he had a wall to scale with the woman on his back.  (from The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "Women’s words fell into water".  Thanks.  --- tk
Language Questions / ---- till I sometimes wished myself
« Last post by t k on Today at 05:04:41 am »
Seven years—seven years a good wife to him, the kind, the good, the generous, the—And he loved me.  Oh yes.  He loved me till I sometimes wished myself—Seven years.  (from The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad; a larger context is here; use ctrl-f to locate the sentence)

Please explain "till I sometimes wished myself".  Thanks.  --- tk
It is as Britta said, and the use of the apostrophes around "protecting" adds weight to this.

The "to" form of the verb, such as "to protect" or "to speak" is called the infinitive. Certain verbs in English don't have the "to" when a second verb follows. For example, "I must study" as you would never say "I must to study". These sorts of verbs where a "to" never follows used to be called "modal verbs" but I am not sure if that term is still used.
Language Questions / Re: played chess and read magazines
« Last post by davel on May 24, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
As often happens, these sentences are too short to achieve the detailed level of your questions.

Only sentence 3 is clear: the teenagers did one or the other, but even that doesn't say whether all teenagers did one or the other or if some of them did one and some did the other.

I think you would need to write longer sentences, for example:

1. Some teenagers played chess and others read magazines OR
1. Some teenagers played chess and some read magazines.

To say that some did both, you would need to add that explicitly to your sentence:
1. Some teenagers played chess, some read magazines, and some did both.
Language Questions / forward or sideways
« Last post by navi on May 24, 2018, 03:02:20 am »
1) The dancers stepped either forward or sideways.
2) The dancers stepped forward or sideways.

3) The dancers stepped forward and sideways.

Which can be used if
a) They all moved forward first and then sideways
b) They all moved forward and sideways at the same time
c) Some moved forward and the others moved sideways

Gratefully,
Navi
Language Questions / played chess and read magazines
« Last post by navi on May 24, 2018, 02:55:41 am »
1) The teenagers played chess and read magazines.
2) The teenagers played chess or read magazines.
3) The teenagers either played chess or read magazines.

Could '1' be used if some of the teenagers played chess and the others read magazines?

Which one would be used if some teenagers, but not all, did both things?

Gratefully,
Navi
Language Questions / Re: spider-man
« Last post by admin on May 23, 2018, 02:39:36 pm »
1. Yes
2. Literally that - he used his webbing to swing over buildings.
3, He was the only superhero who had to darn his own socks.
Language Questions / Re: spider-man
« Last post by longman3575 on May 23, 2018, 12:30:18 pm »
I changed my questions for number 1 and 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10